Saturday, November 02, 2013

When Perfect Isn't Good Enough



There isn’t much that can ruin a perfectly wonderful day in the life of our family as the Ghost of Comparison.  

One second, we are all happy and content, enjoying God's gracious bounty showered on us day by day. . 

Home.  Food to eat.  Water, electricity, beds and linens. Clothes, and toys, friends and family.  Internet connection! Art supplies! 

Then, in a blink of an eye, without us realizing what’s actually going on, something crosses our horizon and all this bounty and more is instantly swallowed up by a black hole. All of a sudden, nothing is good enough.  Our lives stink. Because we are not like such and such… We don’t measure up. 

Somebody throws better and bigger parties. Others have more impressive costumes.  

Seriously?

As stupid as all this may sound, I get entangled. And when I feel trapped, I turn into a problem-solver. I want to fix what's broken.  

We need to try harder. Next year, we'll actually plan. Plan ahead! We are going really all-out on the party.  We’ll add pig-in-the-blankets to our chips-and-salsa menu!  I’ll scour Pinterest for decorating ideas.  Next time, I am determined to be prepared. Really prepared.

But, I said that last time. And I realize, there is always something I miss. I always fall short. I don't quite measure up. Ever.

I wish I lived in Eden before the fall. 

Perfect people.  Perfect environment.  Perfect food.  Perfect decorations. Not to mention the perfect costumes.
Suddenly, it occurs to me,

Perfect wasn’t good enough.

If this doesn’t hit you like it should, I’ll say it again:

Perfect just wasn’t good enough.... And it still isn't. 

I let that thought germinate a little. Take root.

For, even in Eden, perfect man and perfect woman surrounded by perfection, when they started to compare, realized that what they already had wasn’t enough.

Seriously?

Seriously.

They looked around, right past everything they had, and saw somebody else – namely God, or at least a distorted picture of who God is – who had something they didn't have. And they wanted that. 

Sounds familiar?

Well, the rest is history.

I have seen a limit to all perfection; Your commandment is exceedingly broad. Psalm 119:96

No comments: