Friday, November 01, 2013

The Real Ghosts of Halloween




It was our daughter’s idea.  She is the Party Coordinator in our family. It wasn't supposed to be big. Just a little get-together at our house before they (they meaning our neighborhood kids) all go trick-or-treating as a group.

Sure.  I said without thinking. These kids are in our house practically every day.  They know our casual, no-fuss style. I’ll just make some cupcakes and salsa for the chips to spiff it up a little. Make it more festive.

I am not the one to stress out over stuff like this. Even though her party idea was a bit spur-of-the-moment, I think it’s quite doable. A little impromptu celebration will make it more fun for all of us.   

I am chopping tomatoes for the salsa when she comes home from school. About four in the afternoon. The cupcakes are out of the oven and I feel pretty good about myself. She examines the ‘party’ stuff piled up on the kitchen table:

This is great, Mom.  You really went all out.  

All-out in our family is defined as a large black plastic tarantula, two bags of chips, orange cake frosting and chocolate sprinkles. 

Good thing that Mr. and Mrs. R  are bringing the monster  cake… she continues... and Mrs. C will join us…

Mr. and Mrs. R?!!! I am mortified. I didn’t realize any adults would come for our ‘party’. 

In a split second, my relaxed, happy-go-lucky self is swallowed up by the real Halloween monsters.  

The Ghost of Comparison.  

The Goblin of Impossible Expectations.

For both Mr. and Mrs. C and Mr. and Mrs. R, the parents of our kids' friends are BIG on celebrating Halloween  - decorations galore, perfect different costumes each year, not to mention the artfully designed food too beautifully gory to eat - the works.

The sun has set, and it's the middle of the afternoon. 


I am doomed.

No comments: