Monday, June 25, 2012

Dangerous Discipline of Bible Reading 101 Indeed!

Of course, I would be a liar if I didn't warn my readers that reading your Bible with the help of the Author Himself is anything but an innocuous activity.

In fact, I would say that turning haphazard, random, periodic, unsystematic Bible-reading into prayerful, consistent, intentional, faithful, Author-seeking adventure may actually invite a host of troubles your sleepy, self-satisfied, distracted, haphazard, self-sufficient, independent Self knows nothing about. The trade-off is well worth it, but quite beyond the grasp of self-indulgent individuals who only want what they want, when they want it, in the exact way they want it - and all this applies not only to their drive-through burgers and fries, but also to the Almighty God. Neatly packaged, like an Advil PM... called upon to mainly treat the unpleasant symptoms of life's tragic journey, rather than addressing the deadly disease buried under the surface.

Perhaps this is why Jesus says in the Gospel of John,

He who loves his life loses it, and he who hates his life in this world will keep it to life eternal.

I would be an idiot if I didn't realize that there is a rather severe competition for our time and affection. God is not helping the matter in the way He presents Himself to us. He is sooo... how shall I put it???... so unimpressive, and unobtrusive, so.... humble, that it is really easy for us to ignore Him, avoid Him, mock Him and completely miss Him!

When you look over my bookshelves, nothing sets the Bible apart from any other book. Every morning, I have to choose to ignore hundreds other books and choose His Word instead. Every day, I have to choose from a gazzillion opportunities knocking on my door, promising health, wealth and prosperity, and ask God:

What about You? What would YOU like me to do today?

It's hard to be constantly barraged by so many good offers and not be able to just surrender to the torrent that everyone else is surrendered to - bigger, better, faster, more hi-tech, easier, quicker, pain-free, have-your-cake-and-eat-it, and on, and on, and on...

Sometimes I wonder am I the last fool remaining on this planet that's going down the tube - admittedly fancy, impressive tube, but down the tube nonetheless... But, then I remember all the other fools the Bible talks about - Noah, Abraham, Joseph, Daniel, David, Job, Peter, Paul, or ... or even JESUS???? And I find myself in a dran good company!

For I would much rather be counted a fool with these guys than win anything this world has to offer, no matter how alluring the promise may be.



No comments: