Thursday, June 07, 2012

CopyCat 007 - Filial Relationships... The Many Faces of Love Part 5

Cavorting With Enemies


I believe that by now we have established that Jesus has made some pretty outrageous claims about filial relationships.

Surprisingly enough, having read the Bible through and through several times, I have never ever come across a place where He apologizes for His 'out there' claims. But, hey, I am not a biblical scholar. If there is one who has stooped down to read my writings, I would invite him/her here to share his/her personal knowledge of such apology. I would be happy to both give him/her my audience as well as a platform to share with us the results of their scholarly findings.

However, what I would like to share today is taking us in the direction of... hmmm.... How shall I put it?

Going off the deep end...?

Walking off the face of the Earth...

Losing touch with, you know, reality. C'mmon, you gotta be real, you know...

For, not only Jesus doesn't apologize for his statements about our nearest and dearest being our enemies. He actually brings it up a notch... or two... or several hundred decibels...

Listen to these - that is, listen, if you dare... and don't complain to me later I didn't give you a warning - word of Jesus:

You're familiar with the old written law,

'Love your friend,' and its unwritten companion,

'Hate your enemy.'

I'm challenging that. I'm telling you to

love your enemies.

Let them bring out the best in you, not the worst.

When someone gives you a hard time, respond with

the energies of prayer,

for then you are working out of your true selves,

your God-created selves.

This is what God does.

He gives his best—the sun to warm and the rain to nourish—

to everyone, regardless: the good and bad, the nice and nasty.

If all you do is love the lovable, do you expect a bonus?

Anybody can do that.

If you simply say hello to those who greet you, do you expect a medal?

Any run-of-the-mill sinner does that. (Matthew 5:43-47, Message)

I don't know about you, but these words make a bit... uncomfortable.

I feel...

I feel like I need to stop and take some time to digest...

Think about it a little.

This is not something I encounter in my everyday conversations with my friends, coworkers and neighbors... It's so... sooo out there, if you know what I mean...

No comments: