Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Deep Sea Diving into God's Word

The best way I can describe my approach to reading God's Word is going...

Deep Sea Diving!

My favorite entry points are Proverbs, Psalms in the Old Testament and any one of the Gospels in the New. Sometimes, I just stay there and dive under, for any of these books offer ample room for going as deep as you wish.

I love the fact that in Proverbs I am oh, so matter-of-factly reminded every day how stupid I am and how much I need God daily to give me ample supplies of common sense, which doesn't seem to be so common after all. For, there appears to be a world-wide shortage of this commodity, if I might add, especially among those who call themselves God's people.

Another word for common sense is wisdom... and it is often associated with old age. Sadly, just because somebody is old doesn't necessarily mean they are wise either.

If I had to choose my favorite book of the Bible (I know, I know, it's like asking a parent which is his or her favorite child...), I would go with Psalms. I think there is more passion packed inside these poems than all the early afternoon soap operas of the world combined. Love, hate, hope, despair, loneliness, stabs-in-the-back, rest, joy, depths, heights, freedom, bondage, ... you name it. What Psalms tell me every day is:

It's O.K. babe, God loves you just the way you are. You can be real with Him. He already knows it all anyway. Don't fake it. Lay it all out before Him, He can handle it. He knows and understands you better than you know and understand yourself. And with Him it's always safe to be real... And that's the only pathway to true growth... Stepping out of the shadows of pretense and hiding and coming out into His light....


No comments: