Saturday, May 17, 2014

The Unfinished Glory






I feel like a child in a candy store… except the candy is in the shape of vases, plates, mugs and bird houses.  I am a bit overwhelmed, but only until I see it.  The moment my eyes were laid on it, I saw nothing else.

I can’t believe it is on the sale table.

I can’t believe nobody has claimed it.

I look at the price, and I am convinced that it must be incorrect.

THIS piece, at THAT price?!!!!??? Impossible!

I pick it up, admiring its simple beauty. The swirling grace. 

I walk up to the owner, with the prize in my hand.

Oooh.  He says.  I see you found yourself a beauty.

And at this price?!! I am still tentative, waiting for him to laugh at the sticker, confirming that it indeed it was a mistake.

He smiles, takes it from my hands and flips it over.

What’s wrong with this piece is..., he says…

There is something wrong with it?!!! I think, rather shocked, for I can’t imagine what could possibly be wrong with something as beautiful as that. 

But, the moment he flips the bowl over, I am stumped:

It’s UNFINISHED, I exclaim inside my head. Now I see in plain sight the unglazed bottom, the slightly rough clay, and feel rather stupid.  I can’t believe I didn’t even notice!

The beautiful bowl is unfinished on one side…


I savor the thought like a sour gummy worm.

Hmmm…. 

On one side, smooth and shiny, glorious and gorgeous, on the other, just rough and chalky unfinished plain clay...


It’s… it’s… just like us!

It finally dawns on me. 

I like it. I decide.  Now, that I know the truth about it, I like it even more. 

No comments: