Friday, May 02, 2014

Who's Restocking Your Wine Cellar?






Most of us find the beginning of the matter easier than the end.  We love the fresh start. Clean slate. The excitement of novelty.

But when the novelty wears off, the fresh becomes a bit …old, a bit stale… when the slate gets spills and splatters, dings and dents… what do you do?

What do you do when you find out that the wine has run out on your wedding day?

Some of us redouble our effort.  

I am determined to save myself from the embarrassment and swear I'll never run out of anything ever again.  I want to hire the best wedding planner the money can buy to ensure my storage rooms are well-stocked with surplus to last us into the retirement age. And my life begins to revolve around managing the embarrassment-saving supplies for every eventuality life may throw at me… and my loved ones… and their loved ones… all the way to God.

I carry this huge sense of responsibility to guard, to manage God’s reputation just in case He falls short of my own or your expectations of what He should and shouldn’t be doing, of what He should and shouldn’t be allowing. I am determined that if His wine stock supplies run out I will swoop in and save the day…   But in this exhausting not to mention futile process, I barely notice that someway… somehow… the life itself has imperceptibly leaked out of my soul… and one day, I find myself with my stockyard full of everything but life… of everything but simple… joy… of living… truly living… And I start to wonder…


Is there a way to bring fresh wind under the old sails?  

Can God … 

...will God 

...restock the wine supplies of my life 

when my old barrels

run dry?

No comments: