Friday, May 23, 2014

The Crack at the Foundation






The owner holds my upside-down prize, it's unfinished behind exposed, looks me in the eye and says,

What’s wrong with this piece is… that it has a crack.

A crack? I exclaim, trying to cover up my shock.

Yes, a crack.  Right here, at the base. He points the place with his clay-dusted fingers.

A crack… at the base….I feel my insides sinking.  I am not sure I can handle a crack… at the base…

Unfinished...? Yes.

Crack… the size of the Grand Canyon… at the base…? Of all places???

I might be able to handle a tiny cosmetic crack… or even a little ding on top… but this…

It’s… it’s just too risky… too… dangerous…?

I look at the owner.  He reads my dismay like an open book. Even though he holds the bowl, we both know it’s really in my court.

I sense absolutely no pressure from him.  No coercion. His eyes, clear as the cloudless sky outside hide nothing. No cover-up. No thinly veiled greed. No sugarcoating the truth.

I can’t help but feel deep sense of respect for this man.  His simple truth, his patient waiting on me to decide… to choose…

Will I still want it… 

...will I still take it… 

...will I still... relish in it… 

...even though it has… 

...a crack…?


The little demons of perfectionism are in an uproar… 

Don’t be a fool. Just leave it… it’s damaged goods… as good as broken… Nobody else wanted it… that’s why it was on the table in the first place… 

No comments: