Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Not So Fast... When Fasting Becomes Feasting



Today is Ash Wednesday, the official beginning of Lent. 

Two years ago I recklessly decided to join millions of others and participate in time-honored tradition practiced by millions of Christ-followers throughout the ages, all around the world. What transpired since then has revolutionized my walk with Christ beyond my wildest imagination.  Part of me wants to say,

Alright Lord.  I get it. This is enough. Let's resume with some smooth, predictable sailing from now on. None of this extreme fasting- prayer-repentance stuff. 

The other part, the glutton-for-punishment, the Lent-junkie-me, doesn't seem to be able to stop. 

For every time I think I 'give up' something for God ends up blowing up my microscoping view of Him. It broadcasts on large screen what an idiot I am when I think I can ‘sacrifice’ anything on the altar of this prodigious deity who didn’t spare His own Son but gave Him for us all.

Two years ago, to my absolute horror, I was led to fast from Facebook.  What an eye-opening experience!

Last year, I begun a whining fast.  I say ‘begun’ because I don’t think I quite ‘finished’ or ‘completed’ it.  Some people may say I need another whining fast, and I would be a complete fool to object. 

I don't know, maybe I should do whining fast this year? Or at least finish what I started...

But, something seems to tell me that this year’s fast is not so much about giving up, abstaining from or relinquishing something.  It’s as if this year I am supposed to…

…embrace…

…receive…

… accept...

what I haven’t truly

embraced...

received...

... accepted yet?

Hmmm... Now, that's a different take on the whole fasting topic... It's so weird it makes me wonder...

But, I am not in a rush.  I still have until the end of the day to figure this one out.

What about you? Is God tugging at your heart… whispering,

There is more… there is mooooooreeeee...


No comments: