Friday, March 09, 2012

Spiritiual Formation 101 Family Business

The next morning I wake up and something tells me it’s almost noon. I jump out of bed – I don’t even need my coffee - and open the blinds. The sheer volume of photonic activity causes fireworks to explode inside my brain sending shock-waves throughout my body. When all the noise subsides, a thought finally crosses the threshold of my consciousness,

There was no tap on my window this morning,
immediately followed by a sinking feeling in the pit of my stomach.

I remember the tiff the space gardener and I had yesterday and I know he’d left. Never to return again. Despite the fact that he called me Opinionated and Obsessive Compulsive Weed Exterminator; despite his unorthodox approach to gardening; despite the ugly scars on his hands that make me feel so uncomfortable (why can’t he just have a plastic surgery or something?), I can’t bear a thought of never seeing him again. All the motivation to do anything evaporates before my eyes, except perhaps a desire to go back to bed and sleep through the rest of the week… or a month… or .

Then I hear a soft rustling in the bushes in the front. I look out of the window and there he is! I am so relieved to see him I want to hug him and punch him at the same time. I linger undecided as I watch him quietly behind the window. He walks slowly around the yard bending here and there, picking up a dead branch, pulling out a weed. He pauses frequently, looking, listening. He swings around the house and enters the back yard. He makes his way towards the far corner and crosses over into the garden.

You don’t need to go back there!
I shout, mortified. Several years ago I saw a snake’s nest there and I haven’t gone back there since that happened…

Ah, you are up!
He waves at me. I thought you might sleep through this entire glorious day.

Why didn’t you wake me up?!


I thought you needed the rest.


Well, I guess I did. The early afternoon sun seems to agree with him. I hesitate for a moment, then add … I thought you’d left… never to return again. … You scared me.

I thought we had an all-inclusive no-end contract deal,
he winked. I guess you are stuck with me. … And I with you.

I close my eyes and sense a soft rumble from deep down bubbling up… It smells like rain and grass and jasmine… and …a ham sandwich!

Hey, I stopped by Subway on the way here… I am kind of hungry. It’s already after noon. Wan’na eat?


We sit down on the grass under the tree and unwrap the sandwiches.

Have you ever thought of starting your own business?
I ask between the bites. He looks at me like I have just landed from a different planet.

Why would I ever want to do that?


Spread your wings. Branch out. You are good at what you do. I see there is a method to your madness. You could become successful. Independent.


I like working with my dad. Everything I know, I learned from him.


Now, see… that’s weird. It’s like being ‘daddy’s boy’.


Something wrong with that?


No woman is going to want to marry you.

I already have a fiance.


You do?!!! I try to hide my shock. Against my will, my eyes are drawn to his hands. I wonder what kind of woman is willing to put up with that sight. Maybe she is blind.

I guess there is a price to love,…
I mutter under my breath.

Yes. There is. There is always a price to true love.

No comments: