Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Spiritual Formation 101 – The Hard Work of Resting


Except that I might not live long enough to see this LIFE bursting all around,
I mutter to myself, but say out loud,

So, what do we do now?


We rest. And wait. And watch. Rest some more.
I roll my eyes as I visualize the rest of my for-e-ver spent in a Sleepy Medow retirement home, resting, waiting, watching the clock to see how much longer before the next domino game…

I am not a rester, sir. I am a DOER!


I know that… that’s why I am here… to teach you to rest, relax, chill out, loosen up...


Last time I rested was when I broke my leg in fifth grade…


If that’s what it takes… I detect mischief in his voice and take one step back. He laughs, picking up on my precautionary motion.

I am not going to do it unless absolutely necessary.

I look at him unsure whether he is serious or just messing with me.

I've never met anybody so serious about this resting business.

Yep, I learned that from my dad. It’s a very high value to him.

So, what’s so important about being a couch potato?
He again shakes his head in that now familiar even-though-she-gives-every-evidence-about-being-a-hopeless-case-I-know-she-is-not way.

It’s not about being a couch potato, or a slug, or a lazy bum, or whatever else you might label it… Rest is so much more than absence of activity, especially physical activity. You can sit on your bottom all day long and have no rest in your mind and no rest for your soul…

O, I know exactly what you mean!

That’s the rest I am talking about… The rest that fills your mind, and heart, and soul.. and refreshes your body.

Oh, sir – I want that rest!


Alright. But first you have to resign from your job of running this universe, including the quantum level micromanagement position executed on your children, husband, relatives, neighbors, friends and unsuspecting Wal-Mart shoppers. God doesn’t really need your help. He got it covered.

I never saw it as... as playing god-in-chief… I was… I am just trying to help…

No comments: