Friday, January 15, 2016

The Year of Good Enough









I roll the two words on my tongue, savoring their un-entangled meaning.

For someone who is so natural at finding faults, detecting imperfections, pointing out mistakes, it’s really hard to accept life as-is. To find good.  To say, This is good, and really mean it.

It’s hard to say a heart-felt, grateful, content ‘enough’ in the world whose moto is Never stop improving. When there is always something better, bigger, newer...

When each of us is experiencing pressure – as much from the inside as from the outside – to pursue the more and the better.

Better homes and gardens. Better job. Better marriage. Better children. 

The better you!

Trimmer. Healthier. More organized. More spiritual. More time in studying God’s Word. More time in prayer. More generous. More humble. More selfless, more serving….

More like Jesus!

As if as we add years to our lives we are not discovering ...

...the more we know Him...

...the more we know...

 we are nothing like Him!

But caught in that whirlwind pursuit of the better and the more, I tend to woefully overlook the good I already have. All the good that already IS.


In the endless pull for more, I fail to recognize when I've reached (and passed!) the point of satisfaction. To sense when truly it’s enough. 

Indeed, it’s plenty!

And, like a delicious meal, if I keep eating beyond being satisfied isn't going to make me enjoy my food more.
Eventually, it may make me feel quite miserable!

It appears that in life sometimes this more, this better, well-meaning as it may be, doesn’t really add anything of true value. More often than not, it detracts from our ability to enjoy the goodness in life that already is... from our ability to see that there is already enough goodness in our lives as is...

And, right now, that's good enough for me. 

Nothing we do can improve on God. Proverbs 10:22b

No comments: