Monday, October 06, 2014

Unexpected Invitation






I must be affected by the paint fumes because I hardly notice that the clean-up takes at least twice as long as the actual painting. I am delightfully exhausted and satisfied when I finally crawl into bed at 3 AM.  When the kids wake up at 6 AM I jump out of bed, thinking it all must have been a preposterous dream. But, I am greeted with the mess of displaced furniture and the glorious new room, still very much pregnant with all its world problem-solving potential. The sight makes me forget I am facing the day with only three hours of sleep.

I move the furniture with the ease of Mary Poppins. As the room begins to take shape, I get even more inspired and energized.

I can do this! It’s so easy.  I don’t even need somebody to help me.  I can paint myself!

Our whole house waiting, my biggest dilemma is deciding which room I should paint next.

Buoyed by my raving success I zoom through the chores, eventually settling down at the computer to check my e-mails. In the IN-box I notice a new message from my boss. He and his wife had just bought an old fixer-upper with a lakefront view.  Everyone is invited to a party.  House-painting party, to be precise.

 There will be friends.  Lots of friends.

There will be food.  Lots of food.

There will be drinks.  Lots of drinks.


There will be free flow of gallons and gallons of paint.  Drop-cloths.  Paintbrushes. Rollers. All imaginable paint supplies provided.  Last, but not least - no prior painting experience necessary. We’ll show you the ropes. RSVP by... 

I think I must have just died and woke up in heaven. 

No comments: