Wednesday, October 08, 2014

Heaven is Messy






Heaven, it turns out, is much messier and more chaotic place than I imagined.

When I arrive at the house, the party is already well on the way.

There are people everywhere. Some teenage boys are throwing a Frisbee on the front lawn.  Inside, on the floor of the front room, a couple of toddlers are crawling around the wooden tracks,  pushing Thomas and Clarabel, making choo-choo train noises. Their moms are satisfying their craving for much-needed adult conversation.  Drop-cloths are strewed all over, with people balancing on top of the ladders and hanging from the sides of the vaulted ceiling, no safety nets in sight.

There is almost palpable energy exuding off the walls of this place of creative chaos.  Men and women baptized into Sunny Side Lane and Golden Honey hews of yellow in addition to the glowing enthusiasm, or what Josef Pieper might call ‘divine madness’...

Being a melancholic introvert, suddenly I have second thoughts... it all feels a bit too much, and I consider the shortest distance to the nearest exit.

Just then my boss pulls up the driveway, having completed his second run to Home Depot since the beginning of the day, carrying additional cans of custom mixed paint. He seems genuinely happy to see me as if I am the only person who got and responded to his invitation. He sets the cans down, walks me back into the houses and introduces me to his good friend, Mike. 

Mike will be my painting partner. 

I want to say that I really don’t need a painting partner.  That I already have painting experience and prefer working alone. Even as the words are on the tip of my tongue, I look around and notice that all the painting going on is done in teams of twos or threes.


To a lone ranger like me, it seems like a bit of an overkill. 

No comments: