Thursday, July 31, 2014

The Detour Ahead






I’ve been reading through the Book of John for a while now. Few months ago, I even wrote several blog entries that captured what spoke to me at the time.

Like, running out of wine ... at the most importune time! And restocking the emotional and spiritual wine cellar when all your supplies have gone empty and dry.  When I feel like I am scraping the bottom of the barrel and coming out with… nothing. 

Its life giving message continues to blow a gentle wind into my sagging sail, reminding me that Jesus, indeed, is the wild card of hope in this hopelessness-and-death-filled world of ours.

The world in which passenger planes are shot down over an embattled Ukrainian sky.

The world of violence of every stripe and color, nation and language. Where blood is shed of the same color and cries of loved ones echo the Esperanto of grief.

The world where Ebola virus doesn’t spare the innocent, including the messengers of good will and hope.

The world suffering from the epidemic of divorce, suicide and brokenness of every kind. Where storms and fires rage, where the budding branches of life are senselessly snapped in two in its prime, full of promise and hope….

But, I am not going there. I would be a fool to think that I am equipped to pontificate on large global issues or deep personal grief and believe that my words can shed light into this darkness and bring order into such confusion and chaos.


What I am going to do is take a detour. Or at least it may seem like a detour. First, I’ll skip a bit.  Not because what I am skipping is unimportant or without meaning and significance. On the contrary! I want to leave some for you to chew on your own. 

But, I will do is take this detour and sit down for a bit and eavesdrop on a very private conversation. And you are welcome to join me.

No comments: