Friday, June 20, 2014

The Law of Waiting it Out






When I open my eyes, my soul feels all black-and-blue from the previous night’s battering. It takes me a few moments to get my bearing and as I roll out of bed and hit the floor to make my coffee, I remember the letters and the red-hot dragon’s fiery fury.  I want to resume where I left off, I want to feel angry, but to my great surprise, I find I used it all up. 

I am still frustrated. 

I am still confused about the inexplicable decisions and what seems to me as dismal incompetence of the administration. 

I still want all my questions answered.

I still want to give them a solid piece of my mind.

But, all the previous night's fury…all the turmoil... ? 

I turn to the left.  

I turn to the right… but the red-hot dragon is… gone!

Where did he go???? I ask myself, for this is definitely not the usual me. 

For, you see, I grew up in the world where holding grudges - and I am not talking just days and weeks... I am talking centuries old grudges - is a national sport… and cultivating anger is favorite past time. 

I never even knew there could be an alternative. 

I didn't even realize that it could be possible to not act on your anger. 

That it is possible to wait out the emotional thunderstorm the same way one waits out a central-Florida afternoon thunderstorm stuck behind a full cart in Wal-Mart Supercenter until the thunder and the lightening and pounding rain passes and the rivers recede into the drainage ponds. 

And the blue sky reappears behind the dark clouds.

No comments: