Thursday, June 12, 2014

The Law of Eating Your Own Words




Unlike the letter we received on September 11 – the one that goes into great details about the importance of organization and responsibility, continuity and stability, the new letter dated October 28 skips all that.  The only explanation I have for this is a severe case of eating one’s own words.  Despite the fact that I have often suffered from the same disease myself, still I struggle to find much empathy for the person who penned both letters.

 This is what the second letter says:

Dear Parents,

Your child’s teacher, Ms. S has transferred to another elementary school. Mrs. M will be your child’s teacher. Mrs. M is highly qualified and certified…We are very excited to have her join the 5th grade team. She will meet with the class tomorrow to introduce herself and begin building relationships with the students.

If you have any questions or concerns regarding your child’s classroom, please call or schedule an appointment to meet with me or Mrs. K.

Sincerely,…

If???? IF??? If I have ANY questions OR concerns??? The hell I do – BOTH questions AND concerns! And this time you’ll get to hear them all!

I head towards the phone, both letters in hand and pick up the receiver.

There is a red storm swirling inside my head and my heart, and a tiny, barely audible sound of fire alarm in my left ear.

When there is a hot-red storm inside my head and inside my heart, and a tiny, barely audible sound of fire alarm trying to catch my cognitive attention, I know for a fact that what I am about to do might not be the most productive or helpful.

I must resist the urge to act right now and force myself to wait. Until the red-hot storm passes and I can think again.


This is very hard when there is a 10-year-old child wailing inconsolably in the background. 

No comments: