Wednesday, February 12, 2014

And Justice For All




Now, if I was authoring the story, at this time I would assume the role of deus ex machina, I would rip the curtain apart and step in,  crying out from the top of my voice,

Treason and treachery! Treachery and treason! Those who claim to be the King’s servants must follow in their King’s footsteps. They must act justly! Defend the defenseless! Protect the poor!

Like some celestial vigilante, I would feel the urge to intervene and execute divine justice speedily, right there and then. Vindicate the innocent.  Punish the wicked.  

The plot would include at least one sudden horrible chocking death, perhaps of the Priest #1 that very night, preferably as he is trying to stuff his face with a greasy piece of the pig, too large for his mouth. The rest I would allow to suffer miserably from high blood pressure and high cholesterol which would turn into coronary artery disease (a fitting picture of their true heart condition!)  that would eventually lead to their premature deaths.  All this and more would happen if I was writing the story.

But, good or bad, like it or not, access to that divine right hasn’t been granted to me and I am forced to stand right next to you with my hands tied, mute and helpless. And together we must watch and wait, we must seek out and investigate the ways of the divine justice which are rarely quite so immediate and Sunday-school, fill-in-the-blanks obvious, so efficient and algorithmical. Rarely so, should I say... crass... and grotesque?

Together...

...we...

... must...

...wait...

... and watch... 

...watch...

... and wait...


'I don’t think the way you think.' Says the LORD.  'The way you work isn’t the way I work. For as the sky soars high above earth, so the way I work surpasses the way you work, and the way I think is beyond the way you think.'  Isaiah 55:8-9

No comments: