Monday, March 18, 2013

Love, Hate, Truth, Pain




Hearing him talk about good, and right and true, and even REAL in the amoral world of social media and cyber space, I sense tectonic plates shifting under my toes.  So, I do what I do best whenever I sense tectonic plates shifting under my toes.

I change the subject. 

I clear my throat before I ask:

How do you know the difference?

The difference?
He repeats my words clearly uncertain as to what I am talking about.   The difference between truth and lie, right and wrong, good and evil? Illusion and reality?

Nooo! I shake my head, for he is obviously confused. I mean how do you know which weeds to pull and which to leave in the ground? Yesterday you defended the right to life of that weed as if the fate of the universe rested on its survival. Today I caught you red-handed pulling weeds in my yard. What am I supposed to do – pull them or leave them? How do you know? Is there a manual I can read?

From what I understand  you don’t care much for the  manuals. And I know that following instructions is not your strong suit. That's why I came.
He grins with a mock infomercial style grin.  Your very own, living, breathing personal manual.

You are kind of hard to read… and follow.

Only if you already made up your mind what you want and don’t want to do.

Guilty as charged. Call me 'Opinionated'. Anyway… we were talking…

Your favorite subject – weeds.

Help me out here.

You need to learn to love growing plants more than you hate weeds.

Hmmm… love growing... more than I hate….
 I repeat slowly after him.  Wait, that sounds familiar… once I heard somebody saying that we need to love the truth more than we fear pain.

He seems amused.

Same difference.

No comments: