Friday, November 16, 2012

From Anguished to Satisfied




As a result of the anguish of His soul, He will see it and be satisfied… Isaiah 53:10

I don’t naturally tend to put these two together in the same thought or sentence – anguish and satisfied.

The Merriam-Webster on-line dictionary defines anguish as extreme pain, distress and anxiety. The synonyms that go with it are

affliction
agony
misery
torment
torture
travail
woe

To satisfy means to gratify to the full.

Isaiah, inspired by the Holy Spirit, says that the second proceeds as the consequence of the first, arises as its effect, brings it to its final and complete conclusion.

Anguish of soul leads to… satisfaction?!!   Concludes with full gratification?  Becomes a source of… pleasure?!!

I scratch my head over this, for when I experience anguish of soul, or pain of any kind, for that matter, all I want it is to stop.  My tolerance for pain is extremely low and if I can, I will avoid it almost at all cost.  I see no pleasure or satisfaction as having any part in it.

But Jesus received the cup of anguish as coming from the Father, drunk it fully and as a result, as a consequence, His soul will be satisfied. 

How? How’s Jesus’ soul satisfied?

The question makes me wonder if something, anything in my life and yours will make Jesus think, feel,

That anguish, that torment of My soul,
on her behalf,
on his behalf,
it was worth it!

And suddenly, my focus, the center of my attention tilts a little
from wanting the pain, the anguish to stop,
from insisting that my soul is satisfied–
to wanting, desiring His soul satisfied.
His anguish gratified
By the way I love
By the way I listen
By the way I live…
To give pleasure to His soul.

For it is in His pleasure, His alone,
that my soul finds pleasure
and satisfaction
and rest.

In this you greatly rejoice, even though
now
for a little while,
if necessary,
you have been distressed (anguished, afflicted, tormented, tortured)
by various trials,
that the proof of your faith,
being more precious than gold which is perishable,
even though tested by fire,
may result (proceed as a consequence, arise as the effect, bring to final and complete conclusion)
in praise
and glory
and honor
at the revelation of Jesus Christ. I Peter 1:6-8

No comments: