Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Organic... what?!!

Would you prefer organic or regular tomatoes, Ma'am? The saleswoman answered my question with a question, without lifting her eyes.

Before making a reckless choice, I decided to cease the teachable moment and acquire a bit of education in the process. Despite being married to a Californian, the West-coast organic craze never managed to stick to my rebel roots.

What’s the difference?
I cautiously responded with another question, causing a whiplash, as the lady lifted her head, looking at me with astonishment. Even though she didn’t say anything, I could see, Which planet have you landed from? and, Or, is this a trick question?, clearly spelled out all over her confused face.

I stood there without a blink, patiently waiting for the answer, appreciating the fact that the look on her face might very well make up for the cost of the overpriced vegetable.

Well, the organic means… there are no artificial additives, pesticides, and they don’t use radiation or chemical fertilizers to grow fruits and vegetables…They ripen on the vine and are not picked while still green so they can be transported easier… Also, …

I got exactly what I asked for and some… it felt a bit like being a dog chasing a car and actually catching it.

What about their taste? I interrupted before she could launch into a lecture about the use of nanotechnology in agriculture, going straight for the bottom line. What do they taste like?

They taste like tomatoes SHOULD taste. Since we got them, Ma’am, that’s all we eat.


Hey, if they are good enough for you, they are good enough for me. Just hit me with a box!

I gathered up the rest of my purchases and went home, feeling good about having made a healthy choice for our family. What greeted me when I opened the prized box was a … huge disappointment! I wanted to kick myself for not thinking to ask (and she never volunteered any information) about the looks of organic tomatoes! Part of me felt, well, superficial to be so concerned about the appearances and part of me considered going back and talking to the manager about the failure of disclosure. I couldn’t help but wonder if organic was just a euphemism for distorted, undersized and ugly.

When kids came from school, my worst suspicions were confirmed.

What’s THAT?!!!
Having been raised in the world of hydroponic clones, all uniform in color, shape and size, they didn’t know what to make of malformed, bruised and esthetically challenged pile sprawled over our kitchen counter.

Children, these are TOMATOES…. ORGANIC tomatoes!
I introduced the species like some long-lost relatives, secretly hoping they would exhibit the same inquisitiveness their mother showed in the produce store. They were unimpressed.

Are they like this naturally or did something happen to them?


I was on the verge of turning something – or somebody – into spaghetti sauce.

Next time, your only choice for dinner would be virtual tomatoes! I threatened.

I like the look of regular tomatoes much better.
My esthetically sensitive daughter chimed in. They are very – predictable (she used the word with such flair, as if to show her brother she knows something he doesn’t) - all evenly shaped, without spots and bruises, similar in size and… pretty!

Yea, and they all taste like cantaloupe, which tastes like turnip, which tastes like cabbage! And they all share the same – nutritional - non-value! Her brother glared at her as he stomped his foot as if to punctuate his last word.

I was stunned by the war of words erupting between my offspring over the beleaguered vegetable and decided it was time to intervene.

Alright, kids… as they say, The proof is in the pudding!
They both turned and looked at me, crying out in unison.

In the eating, MOM! The proof of the pudding is in the eating!


Pure and uncontaminated - organic - religion in the sight our God and Father, is this: Reach out to the homeless and loveless; stand up for the fatherless and defenseless in their plight, and guard yourself diligently against corrupting illusions which come from the godless world around you.
James 1:27

You are the salt of the earth; but if the salt has become tasteless, how can it be made salty again? Matthew 5:13

No comments: