Thursday, May 19, 2016

The Treasure Hunter







Today on my walk to school I found a Treasure Map!

It was beautiful, I would say even fancy – a laminated card-stock artistic portrayal of a mysterious island, ready to endure the best and the worst of a toddler’s love and rage. But the Maps's attractive appearance was just a part of it.  In addition to being illustrated the Map also had a list of specific steps to guide you, the Treasure Hunter, to the secret hidden treasure.

Being a bit slow, it dawned on me that some of us need all of the above – the laminate protection, the illustrations AND clearly articulated steps if we stand any chance of ever finding the coveted riches.

When I got home, I pulled the Map out of my backpack and begun to examine it more carefully, like anyone would if they were to learn what they need to do to acquire the buried chest.

The list was clear and simple.  I give it to you here in its entirety.

SECRETS TO FINDING HIDDEN TREASURE
  1. Jump across the waterfall.
  2. Tiptoe past the sleeping spider.      
  3. Run across the wooden bridge.     
  4. Hop through the base of the volcano.  
  5. Snatch the key from the statue’s mouth.     
  6. Swim through the Sea Monster’s lake.     
  7.  Leap into the ocean.    
  8. Paddle across the raging seas to the island.    
  9. Dig for the treasure!
That’s it! Easy-peasy. Peace of cake.

I verified the Map's instructions' authenticity, tracking the steps along the clearly marked path, and sure enough - there was a waterfall, a sleeping spider, a rickety bridge, a volcano, a statue with a gaping mouth, a lake with a Sea Monster in it, a raging ocean and another tiny island with a treasure chest on it. 

Immediately I knew the Map was authentic.

No comments: