Monday, December 01, 2014

Split-Screen Owner's Manual




Our ancient made-in-the-90's working TV is up for grabs along with a digital converter box and remote control. It may take a crane and a tractor-trailer to get it out of our house but hey it's free.

The faithful limping giant was replaced by a Black Friday paper-thin cereal-box deal you can lift with your little finger. 

It’s the dawn of a new era in our family.

Without a trace of nostalgia, our tech-savvy 21st century kids were showing us off all that the new TV can do.

Mom, now we can play split-screen Minecraft together…!

And we can use Daddy’s  phone as a remote controller, see… And our friends can… They were bursting with the can-do excitement, interrupting each other, fire-hosing us with all this incredible information about tremendous potential of the new family acquisition.

I was getting dizzy.

How do you know all this? I ask quite impressed by the lightweight gizmo and all the technical and operating knowledge my kids already have about it.

We read the Owner’s Manual, they grin in unison, clearly pleased with themselves. But, that's not all. There is so much more…

The Owner’s Manual?!!! Who in the world reads the owner’s manual…? I’ve never been much of the owner's manual reader.

But then a thought stops me in my tracks. For there is the Owner’s Manual like no other.  The Owner’s Manual for living

Unfortunately, much of the time I either think I already know enough to get by without really paying attention to it or prefer other sources offering somebody else’s regurgitated cliff notes of wisdom.

Just do this and don’t do that and you’ll be O.K.  

God’s Word, however, is not an ordinary owner’s manual, full of incredible information as it is. It’s more like a the-Owner-Manufacturer-live-personal-help-guide

The Book is meant to point me to the living breathing Person revealed on its pages. The-Father-Son-Holy-Spirit-Person who knows me better than I know myself… who is more than sufficient for all my needs… who longs to be known and loved so He can show us more of who He is and what He does and what is yet to come.


So, let us know, let us press on to know the LORD. Hosea 6:3

No comments: