Saturday, December 14, 2013

Photoshoping Christmas



I know I must be missing something.

Where are all these expectations coming from?!!!

Suddenly I think of a video which has recently resurfaced on YouTube portraying a stunning transformation of a quite attractive yet ‘imperfect’ ordinary young woman into a supermodel phantom.


Watching the editing process unfold is as heartbreaking as revealing… But before I jump on that 'bashing the Photoshop and beauty industry' bandwagon, I ask myself if in some sense, we might be doing the same to our Christmas?  If, by all our beautiful decorations and all our beautifully choreographed perfect family portraits, the twinkling LED lights and wobbly lawn decorations  inadvertently we've turned ourselves into Christmas Photoshop pros…?

As if Christmas needs to be Photoshoped...  

As if what God has done and is doing isn’t good enough… 

As if it is my job to improve on His work....  

As if I can improve on His work…


The absurdity of the thought has the effect of rolling a huge burden off my sagging shoulder. For I know I am horrible at manufacturing anything… and, with huge relief I realize that this Christmas season it doesn’t fall under my job description to manufacture some required happy feelings fitting the joyous celebration… for the Reality - The God Among Us, The God With Us, The God FOR Us reality - is better, much better than anything I can Photoshop in or Photoshop out.

No comments: